Simon Bray is a Manchester based documentary & landscape artist, who develops projects exploring place through photography and sound, investigating our connection to place and it’s influence on our personal identity through narratives and the notion of journey.
Simon has just completed a Jerwood fellowship with Manchester International Festival, working alongside Hong Kong based artist Samson Young for his commission ‘One of Two Stories, or Both’, which involved making a photograph for the installation currently on show at CFCCA, Manchester, as well as playing drums within the radio compositions.
His collaborative landscapes project 'The Edges Of These Isles' was exhibited at The Whitworth, Manchester, supported by a 120-page self published book sponsored by G.F Smith and a 25 minute documentary film about the project made by DoodledoMOTION.
His documentary project 'Duality' explores the perception of the individual through uniform, and was exhibited at Brighton Photo Biennial. He has also displayed work at The Southbank Centre and conducted a talk at Open Eye Gallery, Liverpool. His work has been published in The Guardian, BBC In Pictures, Manchester Evening News, NME, Clash and Outdoor Photography. His latest book 'The Limited Findings of a Westerner's Short Stay in Rajasthan' was published by Let's Explore Publishers in April 2017. He also works with Shillington College, lecturing and photographing student design portfolios.
If you would like to enquire about a commission or commercial work, please use the contact form or the details below:
Forthcoming Exhibitions & Events
- Manchester International Festival, Centre For Chinese Contemporary Art - 'One of Two Stories, or Both' with Samson Young - July-October 2017
- Hull City of Culture 2017 - Hull International Photography Festival - 'Duality' with Strand Collective - October 2017
- Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal - Kendal Mountain Festival - 'The Edges Of These Isles' - November 2017 - January 2018
- Kendal Mountain Literature Festival - Talk with Tom Musgrove - 17th November 2017
- Edouard Malingue Gallery, Hong Kong - 'One of Two Stories, or Both' with Samson Young - 2019
Past Exhibitions & Talks
- Longitude Gallery, Clitheroe - 'The Edges Of These Isles' - June 2017
- Independent Photo Festival Prize - House of Vans, London - May 2017
- The Southbank Centre, London - 'Loved&Lost' - March 2017
- Open Eye Gallery, Liverpool - 'The Edges Of These Isles' - November 2016
- No Walls Gallery, Brighton Photo Fringe - 'Duality' - October 2016
- The Whitworth, Manchester - 'The Edges Of These Isles' - September 2016
- Signs of Spring - coming 2018
- This Is The Place - Choose Love, Manchester - 2017
- The Limited Findings of a Westerner's Short Stay in Rajasthan - Co-Published with Let's Explore - 2017
- The Edges of These Isles - 2016
- Second Skin - Strand Collective - 2016
- Italy - 2014
Grants & Awards
- Manchester International Festival - Jerwood Fellowship 2017
- Arts Council - Grants for the Arts - The Edges Of These Isles - 2016
- Arts Council - Grants for the Arts - Second Skin with Strand Collective - 2016
- Magnum/IdeasTap - Professional Practice Bursary - 2012
Outdoor Photography Magazine - In The Spotlight - 2 page feature
The Guardian - Feature in Family (Saturday Supplement)
The Limited Findings of a Westerner's Short Stay in Rajasthan
The Edges of These Isles