Simon Bray is a Manchester based artist, who develops projects exploring place, through photography, text and sound, investigating our connection to place and its influence on our personal identity.
Simon is currently working with photographer Martin Parr, producing a new commission for Manchester Art Gallery, to be exhibited later this year.
His documentary project 'Loved&Lost' invites participants to explore their experience of loss through the restringing of family photographs and audio interview. It has been featured on BBC Breakfast TV, BBC News, BBC Local Radio, The Guardian and Positive News.
In 2017, Simon was one of 6 artists invited to undertake a fellowship with Manchester International Festival, working alongside Hong Kong based artist Samson Young.
Simon collaborated with artist Tom Musgrove on landscapes project 'The Edges Of These Isles', supported by a 120-page self-published book sponsored by G.F SMITH and documentary film. It was featured by Outdoor Photography Magazine, Another Place Press, Oh Comely and YHA Magazine.
Simon's work has been exhibited at The Whitworth, The Southbank Centre, Brewery Arts Kendal, CFCCA and Oriel Colwyn.
He has undertaken editorial commissions for publications such as Pasture, Lodestars Anthology and Rakesprogress. He was also invited to make new work for the publication ‘This Is The Place : Choose Love’, by Tony Walsh & Friends, a book commemorating those lost after the Manchester bombing.
He also works with Shillington College, working with students to photograph and produce their design portfolios.
If you would like to enquire about a commission or commercial work, please use the contact form or the details below:
Forthcoming Exhibitions & Events
- Duality - The Sharp Project, Manchester - May 2018
- Loved&Lost - Oriel Colwyn - July 2018
- Edouard Malingue Gallery, Hong Kong - 'One of Two Stories, or Both' with Samson Young - TBC
- Loved&Lost - Sheffield Museum - TBC
- Loved&Lost - Manchester Cathedral - TBC
Past Exhibitions & Talks
- Signs of Spring - Photoeast, Suffolk - May 2018
- Festival of Voice - Cardiff - June 2018
- Changing Lives: 200 Years of People and Protest in Sheffield - Museum Sheffield - Feb - June 2018
- Free For Arts Festival - Plant NOMA - 'Entity' Film & Stills March 2018
- Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal - Kendal Mountain Festival - 'The Edges Of These Isles' - November 2017 - January 2018
- Kendal Mountain Festival - The Edges Of These Isles' with Tom Musgrove - 17th November 2017
- Manchester International Festival, Centre For Chinese Contemporary Art - 'One of Two Stories, or Both' with Samson Young - July-October 2017
- Hull City of Culture 2017 - Hull International Photography Festival - 'Duality' with Strand Collective - October 2017
- Longitude Gallery, Clitheroe - 'The Edges Of These Isles' - June 2017
- Independent Photo Festival Prize - House of Vans, London - May 2017
- The Southbank Centre, London - 'Loved&Lost' - March 2017
- Open Eye Gallery, Liverpool - 'The Edges Of These Isles' - November 2016
- No Walls Gallery, Brighton Photo Fringe - 'Duality' - October 2016
- The Whitworth, Manchester - 'The Edges Of These Isles' - September 2016
- Signs of Spring - 2018
- 30th December - 2017
- The English Lake District - 2017
- This Is The Place - Choose Love, Manchester - 2017
- The Limited Findings of a Westerner's Short Stay in Rajasthan - Co-Published with Let's Explore - 2017
- The Edges of These Isles - 2016
- Second Skin - Strand Collective - 2016
- Italy - 2014
Grants & Awards
- Manchester International Festival - Jerwood Fellowship 2017
- Arts Council - Grants for the Arts - The Edges Of These Isles - 2016
- Arts Council - Grants for the Arts - Second Skin with Strand Collective - 2016
- Magnum/IdeasTap - Professional Practice Bursary - 2012
The Guardian - Feature in 'Family' Section
BBC Stories - Mini Documentary
The Limited Findings of a Westerner's Short Stay in Rajasthan
The Edges of These Isles
Outdoor Photography Magazine - Book of the Month
Outdoor Photography Magazine - In The Spotlight - 2 page feature
Signs of Spring